Saturday, July 31, 2010

Gross Generationalisations

Apparently as a middle class Gen-X girl-lady, I have been sold a lie. I was told I could do whatever I wanted. As a young women living in a post-sexist society I could have it all. Our female teachers were all over us like a rash; a generation of women who fought to change the status quo heaped their victory spoils on to us young girls with our fluro socks and ra-ra skirts. Here you go, they shouted. You don't have to stay at home while your husband goes off to work and has all the fun. In fact, you must not! You must go to uni and climb the ladder and break through that glass ceiling. Do it for us! Show us that our battles were all worth while. You are just as good as them. You must compete.

But sadly the numbers just don't add up. Nobody really thought it through properly. To slum it round Europe, to get the 6 year degree, and to climb the ladder, you just can't even think about babies. To even contemplate marriage before you are 30 is considered weird and unhealthy. Mind you some of the more organised ones planned it all out to the month and made sure they were in just the right place at just the right time. These are the ones who also book their child into long day care the day after they are born, so that they can return to work 3 months after their vagina or abdomen is ripped/cut to shreds. And then of course if you were like me, at 17 years of age you chose a uni course that you thought might please the watching wise women folk. After a few years of stress and confusion you realise it was the wrong decision and so you go back to uni and start all over in the attempt to do something that you might actually enjoy (because you should). So by the time you are not even a quarter of the way up the ladder you suddenly realise that you have to have a baby and it has to happen now. 

Many of us are now in a weird place that we weren't really expecting. Recent results from a long term study by Melbourne Uni which has been following a cohort of people who would have finished Year 12 in about 1990, have found that "90 per cent of (the) men who had gained tertiary qualifications were working full-time in 2009 compared with only 38.4 per cent of women with tertiary qualifications. Women with tertiary qualifications were the most likely of any group (including women with no tertiary qualifications) to be not in the workforce". But what are your options? Pretty much no one regrets anything. I'm yet to meet a mum who truly wishes she wasn't one (we all have our daydreams mind you). I also haven't met a women who wishes she didn't go to uni and just got cracking on the baby making at 20. Many are almost truly happy and contented at home with the kids. But in the back of their mind lurks the post graduate degree half finished, or the promotion promised if they returned from maternity leave. Many of them have an obscene HECS debt that the government rubs in their faces once a year in a meaningless letter. Many of us work part-time and our work days are our "day off", much to the chagrin of our mothers. Many of us will go through a year or two or ten of utter lostness and emptiness, loving our children yet not knowing who on earth we are anymore.

What I'm suspecting is that what emerges on the other side of this weird and confusing place is what we have actually been waiting for. I really do think that for the Gen-X girl-lady, married, single, mother, childless, the best is yet to come.

7 comments:

Catherine said...

thanks for a really thought provoking post... I work part time and I give my absolute all (watching all the gen y fulltimers leave on time while I keep working...) yet feel like I'm treated as the "part-time mother who doesn't really care about work". I think attitudes - ours and others - don't always match the script somehow (if that makes sense!)

Anonymous said...

I thought I was some sort of weird anomaly because I'm a stay-at-home mother with a nearly four year old boy and a useless masters degree! Having said that I'm also a single mother ... I tried returning to work fulltime at the beginning of this year and it left both my son and I really unhappy, so after six months of that I'm back at home. No idea what we'll do once he's at school ...

willywagtail said...

Can't say I really understand because I am the last of the baby boomers, never went to uni, didn't want to and was married by the time I was 22, children at 25. But I don't think there is ever any 'getting there'. The joy is in the journey. Maybe you have a little spiritual need that is not being met? A 'why' in life? Cherrie

Sonia said...

I really enjoyed reading this post. Like Jay, I've worked on and off while my children are young but it just doesn't work. I'm now officially home for my kids for a few years. Don't know when or in what form work will come in.

I was blown away by the stats you provided. I also thought your final note was pretty amazing. To think that I've yet to give my best to the world. Excellent news.

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

Kate, another absolutely brilliant post!

I'd like to think the best is yet to come also.

Cat from Raspberry Rainbow said...

Wonderful post! Yes, before kids I was a trained medical photographer (who should have done the "arty" photography, not the 'sciency") working in an office selling appointments to strangers on the phone to make a Will...go figure!
It will get better, I believe so too!
Keep writing/blogging, your posts are great :)
Cat

Sonia Skegg said...

Having come across your blog I scrolled down to find this post - brilliant!. I have been lucky enough to be a stay at home mum to my beautiful daughters (6yrs & 4yrs) for the past 5 years, and wouldn't have it any other way. I do run a small business from home, but it's not enough to pay all the bills so I'm looking for a job.

I actually have no real desire to get my head into a new stressful/demanding role, but am happy to do something casual ie retail. And I'm totally ok with that.

I don't know where my work life will take me in the future, but I wouldn't change the last 5yrs for anything and am so grateful that I have been able to spend this time with my children. I don't necessarily think there is a right or wrong way of doing things when it comes to juggling work/life/family, it just has to be right for "you"! Ultimately it's about balance.

Thanks again for the post, I'm now a follower & looking forward to reading more.