Monday, July 05, 2010

Bright Spark

Ok. This is post number four. Things are looking pretty good so far. Probably helped by the fact that I have absolutely nothing to do at work at the moment.

I think it might be good to bring a little light into this self-indulgent, serious blog. So I will attempt to include some self-congratulatory posts celebrating some of the changes that I do make. This will remind me that all is not lost and maybe even provide others with some helpful ideas.

So today's Bright Spark is about rice.



Well it's about more than that. My four year old is a VERY fussy eater. She slept at her cousin's house on Saturday night and I found myself excited about cooking dinner because I wasn't having to think about what she might actually eat. It was quite a confronting realisation that I have let her dictate meal times (among other things) in our house. So I decided that once a week I would cook something that did not meet her exacting standards. She doesn't have to eat it, but it will be put in front of her with no alternative.

Anyway, last week I cooked rice - something she would not normally touch. I jammed it into some shape cutters and guess what - she ate a whole gingerbread man of rice! Ahh the joy that rose in my chest....

PS I have now also tried it with couscous - looked great! But they still didn't eat it. Oh well one out of two is not bad.

4 comments:

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

oh kate - I am loving that idea!! Would love a guest recipe for my easy peasy dinner winners if you felt up to it ...... ;)

Sonia said...

Hi Kate. I can only imagine Emma is spot on with her ravings about you. Looking forward to future posts. I'm a newbie myself to the blogging world - so welcome and enjoy! It's lots of fun.
Great idea with the rice shapes. I just did a post of my own about fussy eaters (my two are hitting new heights...)

LionessLady said...

I have 3 little people who are exactly the same. It took 3 years for my now 6 year old to actually let a vegetable pass his lips! Good luck!

Catherine said...

I think that idea is brilliant - I love thosee times when we appeal to our girl's imagination and it works...